Re: RE: From Greetings to skateboarding

From: Martin Owen (mowen@rem.bangor.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 03:46:02 PDT

phillip C writes:

>A common example of this is call centre operators who devise ingenious
>ways
>of spending more time with each caller than their managers specify in
>their
>throughput targets - even though to be found out would result in
>dismissal.
I have direct experience of a similar case Philip.

Call Centre Manager: You will be dissmissed because your section is
woefully behind targets

Supervisor: I have 48 hours in this quater. How many calls do you want me
to make

Call Centre manager: You need to do X thousand..

Supervisor: That's ok we can do that?

Call centre Manager: Pardon?

Supervisor: I will get the staff to pick up the form and put it straight
down. Theat logas as a call.

----------

The company soon realised they were not in the business of answering
telephones but in the business of selling financial services. They changed
their targets to sales. However disadvantaged the sections who had gretest
stress: those dealing with debtors... ho hum!
-------
This was a case where we were able to sit down with the HRD management
with CHAT frameworks and resolve issues.

On internal univeristy issues one becomes a maverick and an unwelcome
critic for exercising the skills that outside agencies pay very good money
for.

Martin

"A big Hi to all you sentient beings out there. For the rest of you, the
trick is to bang the rocks together."
D.N.Adams (1952-2001)