AS Correct an assumption as possible

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 21:06:28 PDT

In a message dated 7/25/2001 6:57:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
phillip.capper@webresearch.co.nz writes:

> My assumption about your view, which I acknowledge may be incorrect, is that
> you believe that dealing with theory without grounding it in the reality
> that it refers to, is not a legitimate educational activity.

Phillip, it may astound you that my belief is so close to that of Claude
Levi-Strauss in his writing on the 'Savage Mind' that you are unwilling to
accept this assumption. People do not live their life in the abstract. Many
of the assumptions and predictions that are made in daily life are from the
magic that is so close to hyperbolic thought, that theorist such as
Levi-Straus explain psychological fuctions based on these historical patterns
and the more legitimate theories of human nature remain unfound. I am
unwilling to provide the field of anthropology with the explanation of human
nature; that task should be left to psychologists and philosophers.
Therefore, my task is to propose that a scientific explanation is required to
both defend the savage mind and destroy any advantage thereof.
         Imagine that you are a child of 5 and you have to feed yourself and
your sister because your mom has spent the majority of the day away from
home. Nothing other then grounded reality will feed your sister, an
explanation of your mother's absence is not neccesary. Ivory tower thinking
would explain the absence of the mother, my way of thinking would provide
help for the child who is left to fend for itself. Reality is where I
theorize my psychological assumptions, theory is where society feeds the
child; join me at the foot of the rebels and understand how it is to break
free from systemic thought.

No longer explaining, just doing,
Eric