RE: active learning/teaching at the 7000 level

From: Phillip Capper (phillip.capper@webresearch.co.nz)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 16:49:37 PDT

Thank you Eric, I think I understand you better now.

If we accept Bill's point that all activity is 'contrived' , now the
question becomes, 'what sort of educational contrivance is best?'. I hope
that you do accept that point. I understand all interactions to be a
manipulation - for example at present you and I are engaged in a
conversation which we hope will transform the other's understanding of the
world. Thus I can remove the negative cultural baggage from the words
'manipulate' and 'contrivance' , and seek instead to discover how a specific
manipulation or contrivance contributes to or detracts from the purposes of
the activity I am currently concerned with.

I can identify better with your comments on teacher education. What I still
have difficulty with is your continued description of the current situation
as 'contrived environments' in a way which suggests you believe that what
you described in respect of your work with mentally ill young adults was not
a contrived environment. In my view it was a contrived environment. One
might imagine the difference as being that the tasks were authentic, but
even that is arguable.

In CHAT terms I can understand - and in part agree with - the proposition
that the tracks by which teachers become teachers are contrived
environments with significant negative effects, and that authentic
experiences of wilderness living are contrived environments with
significant positive effects, but not that the former is contrived and
therefore wholly without merit, and that the latter is not contrived and
therefore entirely good.

I also remain confused as to what precisely you mean by 'concrete'. In your
earlier post you wrote

"The reality of being in the woods and having to work as a team is something
classroom does not provide no matter how much theorizing one approaches the
lesson plan with. If your method of instruction is based in similar reality
contexts then I will not assume you to be an ivory tower academician. I
have
never been inspired by any High School or College teacher, my inspiration
has
come from people I have participated in real world activities with. "

And in your latest your rebuttal of my use of the word began with:

"Respectfully, I disagree with the written word being concrete. It is
merely
a representation of an individual's abstract thought"

This seems to imply that the use of the written word does not have concrete
outcomes. There also seems to be a suggestion that theoretical or abstract
activities are not legitimate educational experiences. My assumption about
your view, which I acknowledge may be incorrect, is that you believe that
dealing with theory without grounding it in the reality that it refers to,
is not a legitimate educational activity.

I may have misrepresented you three times in the foregoing paragraph, but I
do not subscribe to any of those three representations.

Phillip Capper
WEB Research
PO Box 2855
(Level 9, 142 Featherston Street)