RE: Where to submit: Is the CH SIG suitable for your proposal?

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 15:08:09 PDT

Hi Bill and everybody--

That is King's and my approach to ask for help in decision making the
whole sig and xmca body we we can be as democratic as possible.

> To dispense with the personal note -- I greatly appreciate
> the support that the chsig has provided over the last couple
> of meetings, and partially for that reason, I'll be
> submitting a roundtable paper under division G? that will
> slightly lessen the demand for chsig slots, but it will also
> provide me incentive for getting a draft written. Since my
> college-funded travel is most likely completely expended for
> iscrat, (a pleasant turn of events) it is unclear whether
> I'll be at the next aera anyway (but its a more than fair tradeoff).

I appreciate your thinking aloud. Where to send proposals is often
difficult choices to do. I suggest contacting Division/SIG officers and
chairs as well as checking the programs of previous AERA meetings to see
where similar presentations were submitted and accepted. It is easier to
do now when everything is on the web and there are search engines that
can help.

> Systemically, I think many of our chsig dilemmas arise out of
> the aera structure that carries them. There is the tradition
> of having competition in the system as a means to improve the
> quality of the work presented, but at the same time, this
> structure militates against the goal of greater inclusion
> that many of us are interested in for various reasons. We
> can make more room available for people who are growing into
> the chsig community if others who have a high probability of
> successfully making proposals for other divisions and sigs,
> do so. Yet there is also the risk that putting the
> presentation of work with high merit outside the sig will
> reduce the popularity of the sig with general audiences, and
> may also decrease the quality within the sig. And merit and
> popularity (and quality) are difficult to untangle.

Nicely put it!

> Yet, as discussed in Seattle, there are also benefits to
> being linked to aera.
> For example, for those with limited resources for travel, and
> aera being a mecca for educational researchers, this allows
> the opportunity to participate in both the focussed and
> broader research communities.

Yes.

> Well, there's more that I could write, but there are other
> things to write, and time is too short. There's also a
> backlog of reading to do.
>
> Just 2 cents worth,

Thanks for sharing. Feel free to make suggestions and raise concerns.

Take care,

Eugene

PS To become a ch sig reviewer visit http://www.aera.net/meeting