Re(2): dewey.vygotsky

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 16:18:52 PDT

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes: Garry Shank wrote:
>i just finished reading lewis menand's extremely interesting but i think
>uneven work -- the metaphysical club. menand looks at ow holmes, james,
>peirce, and dewey within a historical matrix grounded by the civil war on
>one end and the cold war on the other.
>anmyone else read this?

        yes, Gary - i'm reading menand's books now, as well as "Pandora's hope"
- Latour's work that i think Eugene recommended earlier this year - and
"From dawn to decadence" - Jacques Barzun. So far i'm liking Pandora the
best. waiting in the wings is the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation of "Anna
Karanina" and Tom Spanbauer's "In the city of shy hunters".

        the summer heat has driven me to the coolest room in the house with an
electric fan and a stack of books.

phillip

* * * * * * * *
* *

The English noun "identity" comes, ultimately, from the
Latin adverb "identidem", which means "repeatedly."
The Latin has exactly the same rhythm as the English,
buh-BUM-buh-BUM - a simple iamb, repeated; and
"identidem" is, in fact, nothing more than a
reduplication of the word "idem", "the same":
"idem(et)idem". "Same(and) same". The same,
repeated. It is a word that does exactly what
it means.

                          from "The Elusive Embrace" by Daniel
Mendelsohn.

phillip white