Re: active learning/teaching

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 18:12:07 PDT

My work is to do with creating the *physical* environment for collaborative
learning.
You'll find lots of material at http://www.ists.unimelb.edu.au/ts/reports.htm

Andy Blunden
At 05:09 PM 7/16/01 -0600, you wrote:
>xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>
> Barb wrote several days ago - but not quite a week ago - and i've
> been
>wanting to respond but .... time .......
>anway, Barb, i think that your questions themselves points to you doing
>action research / teacher research on your own practice.
> >

> >My questions really have to do with how one creates an environment as a
> >teacher
> >which fosters or engenders enthusiastic collaborative learning. I think I
> >read
> >here some time ago about work that Eugene and Barbara Rogoff did
> >videotaping the
> >classroom and some of the subtle and not so subtle inhibitors of a
> >collaborative
> >environment. (Apologies if I misunderstood)
>
> so my suggestion would be for you to enter your classrooms asking
>yourself "What can i do to create an environment that fosters and
>engenders ethusiastic collaborative learning?"
>
> with that in mind, the way you would arrange your classroom
> furniture,
>classroom activities, your role within the classroom, etc., would be
>something you would always consciously keep in mind as a way of supporting
>and engendering collaboration. for example, i arrange my classrooms to
>that the students can see each other at all times, a
>square/rectangle/circle, of course reflecting the physical constraints of
>the classroom. also, i never sit in the same place - when means that in
>time the students stop going to the same places to sit. however, in point
>i'd like to say that the activities arise naturally/artificially from the
>subject matter, as well as the various forms of collaboration. i also
>make it explicit that this is a goal of mine as a teacher and that i'm
>going to be doing in-class on-going data collection to find patterns of
>relationships that support collaboration.
> >
> >I am working with MBAs, many of whom are brilliant international students
> >and
> >would like to create authentic assignments, authentic assessments, and
> >very
> >active learning *environments*. I have unbelieveable technology which
> >supports
> >my classrooms. Now I am looking for info on how to make these supports
> >part of
> >the way I construct my classroom activities, and part of the way that
> >students
> >learn, something beyond powerPt..
> >
> i think that your point about how the technology support the
> classrooms
>bears some investigation - in fact, how does the technology support
>collaboration? but then, it wouldn't be in the technology itself but the
>activities in which the technology is a tool.
>
>anyway - good luck!
>
>phillip
> >

> >Barb

>* *

> [...]

* Andy Blunden, Teaching
Space Support Team Leader
* University of Melbourne 8344 0312 W, 9380 9435
* Email ablunden@unimelb.edu.au W, andy@mira.net H
*
http://www.ists.unimelb.edu.au - Work
* http://home.mira.net/~andy/ -