Re: Barb Stuart's question

From: Barb Stuart (bstuart@uswest.net)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 19:01:07 PDT

Dear Mike et al,
Thanks for the clarifying question. I am trying to organize my thinking
around communities of practice for a class I am teaching which uses very
sophisticated computer support. Much of the literature I read talks about
"talking head" teachers in the classroom, didactic lecture etc. and it
seems that a lot of research involves looking at Middle schoolers rather
than looking at the 7000 classes where I find myself, (wishing I were
involved in authentic, active learning). So I wondered if there was any
lit about how to construct a ZPD enabling classroom environment,
multivocal, novices and experts (teachers) exchanging roles??

When I sent the mnessage off I was immediately sorry for disrupting the
flow of the dialogues here on XMCA. I am trying to submit a couple of
papers and it strikes me that the single most signicant difference *for me*
is that in classrooms bounded by constraint, critique and breakdown, I have
the most amount of trouble, and, well, the least amount of learning, I
guess.

(Still trying to get clear, hopin that there was somethin' here.)
 with great respect,
Barb