Re: financial success & howling

From: Dr. P. R. Portes (prport01@louisville.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 19:57:36 PDT

yes we know, does'nt matter, there is an ample supply of prolepsis around,
and actually, it's nice to know we are not alone....minor slips may be
correlated with great strides, is there a law or principle like that yet?

But seriously, beyond slips, Freudian or not, I've been wondering about this
common phenomenom of older people repeating themselves in social
interactions, like a schema designed for multiple occassions and audiences.
Besides indicating that control of memory is being bio-relinquished, there
is also a certain element of involuntary compulsion to repeat the
ideation/ideology for the person.
functionally it may serve at least a couple of purposes perhaps
1. re-affirming who one is - identity maintenance
2. as a form of resurging egocentric speech, might this reveal that the
speech, rather than just regulating behavior as in preschool, now turns
around and the behavior or script regulates a person's speech/thought
whenever a social situation permits/provokes it? (the theme here would be
that from other to self and back again to other regulation..)

Seems like most of what we do is directed toward studying dev. in the early
years, yet, as with defectology contrasts, aging and certain disorders
(strokes, Alz. etc) remain heuristically valuable territory, much untouched
since A.Luria...

I won't ask for refs. on this topic lest they are handy, this is one area I
will save for when I can become a valid subject....and echo my own lalia.