Re: levels

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (anashane@speakeasy.net)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 12:50:45 PDT

Hi everyone

As I understand Thibault: in the theory of scalar hierarchies, each level (L) contains unique processes and forms. The levels are then organized so that the they provide a system of mutual constraints - a higher level (L+1) provides constraints (boundary conditions) to the focal levele(L); while an immediate lower level (L-1) provides constituents for the focal level L.

OK - logically I have no problem with this.

What I want to know is do we have to suppose that social processes are of a higher level order to the level of individual higher mental processes?
Likewise, why do we have to suppose that individual mental processing belongs to a higher level than neurological processing??

Maybe these questions seem crazy, but SOCIAL may be also conceived as a basic process in the sense that even chemical processes are based on relationships and exchanges of particles and information, and that they are also highly regular and rule governed.

It seems to me that the traditional hierarchy is a part of a paradigm in which the procession of levels is:

from chemical
to organic
to the level of a cell
to a cell collony
to more and more complex organisms
to individuals
finally to a society.

The forms and processes on each level are unique and probably non transitive, however, the hierarchy of levels seems based mainly on a physical size of the forms (microscopic to very large) and the spacial reach of the processes (very local to across space and time)

However, there are other bases for creating a hierarchy of levels. For me it makes more sense to say that the level of SOCIAL processes is a constituent of the individual mental processing, and that individual mental processing is CONSTRAINED by a level of its neurological structures and processes. The neurological strucutres of the brain are in turn created based on the individual mental functioning.

I think that a theory of socially mediated individual development must be based not on "ontogeny is a recapitulation of philogeny" by a different one altogether: "ontogeny is a zone of proximal development for the philogeny".

What do you think??

Ana