RE: [ch-sig] RE: dewey sig

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 13:10:44 PDT

Welcome, Bruce!

Bruce, you wrote, "I am a converted radical behaviorist/instructional
systems designer who has
been in and out of the university as a student and/or adjunct instructor for
40 years."

Several years ago, when I was looking for job I had a job interview in one
of West coast universities in Department of Psychology evenly divided
between behaviorists and cognitivists. When I finished my presentation, one
of leading behaviorist there came to me and quietly said that he was glad
that Vygotskian (i.e., me) would come because Vygotsky was very close to
behaviorism. I was very surprised to that statement but I did not time (and
desire :-) to pursue that issue with that person in the context of my visit.
Later I talked with Roland Tharp, who used to a behaviorist but now is a
leading neo-Vygotskian. He also mentioned some, although, very indirect
connection between Vygotsky and behaviorism and that it is not by chance
that behavorists convert to Vygotsky's approach and not to cognitive. I
wonder what you think about that.

Eugene