Re(2): re: refusal and resistance

From: Katherine Goff (Katherine_Goff@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 08:19:15 PDT

Judy writes:
>Kathie's point about perspective seems integral to a theory of resistance.
>If individuals ARE 'within themselves' so to speak complex interfunctional
>systems developing in sociocultural environment, then resistance can
>manifest between "voices" internally and in relation to others AT
>DIFFERENT
>LEVELS, and can be seen from different angles -- the crux of individual
>development: i.e., self-world relations, occurs in dialogic interaction,
>through which perspectives get interrelated - the dialogue may occur
>"within" so to speak the person-in-activity -- that is, a person engaged
>in
>activity can acquire perspectives embedded within the activity system and
>set these in play internally -- OR of course it can occur across
>individuals, which takes more effort.
>
>Kathie also seems on the money (woops) when she invokes foucault -- i.e.,
>that perspective cannot be understood in any neutral sense. It's always in
>relation to some other perspective & always in terms of relative power.
>Bakhtin gets credit too :)
>
>And finally, kathie's invocation of transversal, as jay lemke has been
>working on the notion, points me towards more thinking...

finishing up a summer course,
but -
i was dancing with G.Bateson's concept of collatoral energy . . .
one of his necessary characteristics for a mindful system (a complex
system exhibiting learning/life behaviors) is that components of the
system respond to changes within the system using energy from outside the
system.
kick a rock (it's not mindful, it's predctable, it doesn't resist),
kick a person (the responses will vary depending upon factors not included
in the system, by drawing on resources outside of the activity of one
person kicking another, the CH in CHAT)
the ways that one might resist include leaving the system (in all the
multiple meanings of leaving), but kicking back---is that resistence? it
might discourage the first person from kicking the second person, but i
don't think it will teach anyone that the activity of using kicking to
accomplish something is what needs to change---the activity of kicking
often gets reinforced and the particpants accept that the one who kicks
the hardest, or the most, or without the teacher noticing, is the winner.
or they might accept that the teacher can potentially kick the hardest
(kick them out of class, for example) and the teacher is the winner.
is kicking always the winner?

what is it that's being resisted and from who's point of view?

kathie

Words are the thunders of the mind.
Words are the refinement of the flesh.
Words are the responses to the thousand curvaceous moments---
     we just manage it---
     sweet and electric, words flow from the brain
     and out the gate of the mouth.

We make books of them, out of hesitations and grammar.
We are slow, and choosy.
This is the world.
                                            Mary Oliver - The Leaf and the
Cloud