RE: RE: Ch 5, phillip, owen

From: Phillip Capper (phillip.capper@webresearch.co.nz)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 13:52:25 PDT

I am interested in the 'computer labs or in classrooms' aspect of this
debate. Confronted with that decision, and wanting to redefine issues of
power, control and access; and also wanting to explore the transformational
potential of computers, a high school here finally decided that the school's
computers would all be located in corridors (other than a research facility
in the library). The tool mediational impact of this decision has been
fascinating and totally different than what typically happens when they are
located in labs or classrooms. Suffice it to say that since this decsion was
implemented students from this school are disproportionately visible in
events like education-computer fairs, and vastly so when corrected for their
social origins.

Phillip Capper
WEB Research
PO Box 2855