Re: Ch 5, owen, judy

From: Nate Schmolze (vygotsky@home.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 05:22:24 PDT

George Bernard Shaw:
It is the deed that teaches, not the name we give it. Murder and capital punishment are not opposites that cancel one another, but similars that breed their kind

Bill, Owen

Both Willis and B&G take the activity system to task don't they. My problem when this discussion arises time and again is there IS this problem of resistance by these boys and girls. It seems the problem is NOT the resistance perse rather that what has caused it in the first place.

Maybe failure is inevitable and in that case resistance is simply saying one will not take their beating lying down.

I mean if the task is simply to make the boys and girls less resistible that does NOT seem to take us far. It seems what would be needed is not the lack of resistance but its expansion into something different that does not promote failure for the individual but also changes the system somewhat.

As far as the ruling class is concerned I am not at all convinced by the assertion they do not control schools. Some local examples

1) An lower working class school had to wait two extra years to get school windows replaced, so middle / upper middleclass schools could get the newest computers in their classrooms.

2) A lower working class African American community advocated a new elementary school in their community. Although 2/3 of the students came from this community the school was instead put in an upper middle class community in which 2/3 of the students would be bussed everyday. One would wonder how one could have community / parental involvement when children are bussed 2 plus miles a day.

3) An middle/upper class (where the professors kids go) school concerned with test scores fights to lessen desegregation policies, so current working class and minority students can be bussed to other schools. This school later became nationally recognized as a community of learners school".

4) As part of a prevention / intervention strategy most schools with a substantial working class population had 4 year old kindergartens. A parent from an upper middleclass school threatened to sue the district so next year 4 year old kindergarten will exist no more.

I guess I would be interested in others reading of B&G (our newest capitalists) and how it relates to class interests.

Nate