Re: Chicago schools

From: Peter Smagorinsky (psmagorinsky@home.com)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 07:03:59 PDT

I recently read a book originally published in 1967:
Dixon, John (1975). Growth through English Set in the Perspective of the
Seventies (3rd ed.). Yorkshire, UK: National Association for the Teaching
of English.

Dixon argues in favor of a "personal growth" English curriculum and against
the prevalent "skills" and "cultural heritage" curricula of the 1960s. A
timely quote in the context of the current discussion: when culture
undergoes rapid change, "there is a tendency to panic, to define an
external curriculum--a system into which teacher and pupil must
fit--instead of helping teachers, in departments and larger groups, to
define for themselves the order and sequence that underlies their best
work" (p. 84).

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.