multi-age classrooms

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 20:54:09 PDT

Hi Phillip-- Yes, the noose is being tightened around our children in the
name of their futures.

Yesterday the head of Chicago schools who implemented a lot of quality
control measures, and totally scripted teaching, gave up gbecause the
early gains leveled off. The attempt to create good education through
Fordist measures will fail over and over and over again, if not at grade 2
then at grade 4 or 5 or 6.

The Kansas City schools have failed too. They spent gazillions on
facilities and scripted teaching, and in despair are turning to activity
centered, meaning making curricula and who knows, perhaps even better pay
for teachers.

Our newspapers carry real new these days about the confusion of our country,
exmeplified nowhere more clearly than in the scripted nonsense we are
treated to by our unduly elected leader.
mike