Re: RE: translation problems

From: Karen R Heckert (heckertr@juno.com)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 11:18:41 PDT

Hi Martin and list:

> We do not have a word that distinguishes teaching from learning in
Welsh either. Dysgu (the root is latin). Thus
>when I teach something I learn it too. Dw'in dysgu addysg... means
simultaneously I teach education and I learn
> education. If I really needed to discriminate to translate into >
English I would have to pick it up from context.

Hebrew is much the same. Most Hebrew verbs have a three consonant stem,
and conjugate, etc. with suffixes and infixes. L-M-D in its simple form
(lo-med) means to learn, and in the intensive (me-la-med) means to teach.
 One of the Talmudic sages is also quoted as saying that he learned much
from his teachers, more from his colleagues, and most of all from his
students - a sentiment sure to be seconded by anyone who has taught!

Rachel Heckert