Re: RE: translation problems

From: Martin Owen (mowen@rem.bangor.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 08:52:37 PDT

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>What does it mean to say that obuchenie refers to "both" teaching and
>learning? Is it more inclusive, in the sense that fruit includes both
>apples
>and oranges? Does it combine the two as elements as when dialogue combines
>speaking and listening? Or is it something altogether different than
>either,
>something beyond teaching and learning?
>
>And why don't we have a word like that in English? Or do we?
>
>djc

We do not have a word that distinguishes teaching from learning in Welsh
either. Dysgu (the root is latin). Thus when I teach something I learn it
too.

Dw'in dysgu addysg... means simultaneously I teach education and I learn
education. If I really needed to discriminate to translate into English I
would have to pick it up from context.

In French you may care to think of the nuances between former, eduquer and
enseigner.

Martin

"A big Hi to all you sentient beings out there. For the rest of you, the
trick is to bang the rocks together."
D.N.Adams (1952-2001)