cultural identity and so on

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 11:55:56 PDT

there is such a thing, of course, it's just eclipsed by "science" which is
allegedly neutral (oh ya! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha)
anyhow,

i thought i'd quote something here from one of my favourite writes,
Alberto Manguel:

        "As a Canadian (though born in Argentine), I have an ambiguous
relationship with America (the Americas) and America (the United States).
As to the first, Canada is the only country on the continent born not from
a revolution but from a counter-revolution. This imploded creative energy
is the root (perhaps) of our uncertain and much-debated sense of identity,
apparently, at some CBC [CANADIAN broadcasting CORPORATION] competition,
to choose a phrase or Canada's equivalent to the well-known, " as American
as apple-pie" the winning entry turned to be, "as Canadian as possible,
under the circumstances."
        This mildness suits us: among all the countries of the continent, we
alone have the reputation, at times undeserved, for laid-back common sense
and active human rights. "

Alberto Manguel, p. 48, GEIST, vol. 40, Spring 2001.

there is, undeniably, a myth about Cdn superiority,
because we understand geography and history.
can that be it? !!!
eeks.
diane