Re(2): so i'm a pessimist

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 08:17:23 PDT

Peter writes:
> I'm wondering if the gender makeup of tenure committees
>has any implications for the kinds of work that gets valued (recognizing
>that gender by itself does not determine anything).

funny you should wonder this - i think, or rather, at UBC, there is a
curious (not so funny) phenomenon that indicates the "sensitive" men can
authorize
radical qualitative work,
but women are not actually in a position to do so -

as a result, my dissertation, which was a non-dissertation, in many
respects,
was passed by a committee of mostly men, all "sensitive" types,
"feminists" in their ability to recognize masculine practice, but not
necessarily in the authority afforded the male professor.
it was disturbing for me that only men could authorize my desire to
transgress traditions,

and i'd say gender determines quite a lot.
as for differences between qualitative and quantitative research, my own
investigations into the "methods" of each indicate there is little
difference, really, when it comes down to ideals about "data" and "rigour"
 and "validity" ... but i am quite the pessimist. :)

methoughts, or 2 cents, (Cdn) = [$0.003 USF, heh heh]
diane

"If you'll excuse me now, I'd like to be alone with my sandwich."
Homer