RE: so i'm a pessimist

From: Glick, Joseph (JGlick@gc.cuny.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 22:42:16 PDT

Mike and all:

Things are pretty lousy here too - and we have had the benefits of Sylvia
Scibner, Katherine Nelson, Michelle Fine and others. Here we have fetishized
qualitative research - and it is just as oppressive as the rest. And,
beneath the surface lie the positivists and the RO1 calculators (who measure
worth by overhead). (Have you ever been asked whether your mind is a "profit
center?" I have. Thank god for XMCA. I'm half Candian so my dollar is worth
about 83 cents - and with NAFTA who knows how many pesos. It is not
comfortable to be the demoninator of global financial equations.

Joe