canadian nat research council

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 14:24:21 PDT

Hi Michael--

Yes, even our NSF is putting out such rhetoric. But sitting on tenure
review committees and listening to what gets one credit to keep working
at UCSD makes the disconnect between applied and basic research, and the
credit they receive in the academy, very salient.

I think that many members of xmca are developing ways to bridge that gap,
but wherever I go and give talks, the issue of how what I do relates to
"real science" is raised in a variety of ways.

Glad the Canadians are more enlightened. Sorry your dollar is worth 65cents!
mike