Re: which cultural psychology

From: Karen R Heckert (heckertr@juno.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 09:32:16 PDT

Mike writes:

> Diane-- I have checked our library data base for books on cultural
psychology. The only two I knew of were by J.R. >Kantor and by Siegler
et al., each with different subtitles. Subsequently there have been
others. I am naturally >interested in collecting research in this area,
and would appreciate a ref.

It's more than likely that Diane's book was titled *Cross-*cultural
Psychology. There were a number of books with "cross-cultural"
psychology as or in the title floating around then. In fact, I quoted a
few of them in my BA senior honors paper on cross-cultural issues in
psychotherapy.

The "center of gravity" of cross-cultural psych has moved to Hong Kong
with Mike Bond's people, and the area has progressed hugely, but you
would never know it from reading J of Cross-Cultural Psych, since IACCP
seems to have patterned it after the sterile format of most APA
peer-reviewed journals. Books coming out of that stream of research are
much more representative and interesting, although they tend to deal more
with personality or social psych than developmental, and a lot of the
researchers come from the Chinese tradition rather than any European one.

Rachel Heckert