everyone is doing it?

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 08:16:19 PDT

Nate! What world are you inhabiting?

You wrote: Ok practical concrete research is in now - everyone is doing it

AT my university, and here i think I can easily include all branches of
UC although I know my own local circumstances, not only is everyone not
doing it, those who are doing it are at risk for getting fired for lack
of scholarship.

A central struggle, and I don't think only here, among social scientists
is to make clear the legitimate RESEARCH/THEORY necessity of ingaging
in practical research.

Could those who live in other realities of the sort described by Nate
speak up so those of us living in institutions where laboratory-style
positivism continue to reign get a better field for why we are not in the
mainstream?
mike