hi Rachel!

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 18:06:20 PDT

Hi Rachel-- Nice to have you back with us. The most recent discussions
of LBE are in an obscure (for now) part of the xmca web page which
you can retrieve by going to lchc.ucsd.edu/xmca and checking for a recent
message from nate smoltze (bless his hear!).

A very recent message from Judy Diamondstone indicates that perhaps we are
ready to consider chapter 5, although Yrjo's whereabouts, Judy says,
are a matter of indifference outside of UCSD. I am not sure if we need to
hurry or not to finish the discussion, which would be a first, since no
books discussed on xmca have been discussed start to finish so far. Lets
see what Judy has to offer us.

Concerning Carl Ratner's new book. If you have read it, perhaps you can
give us some hints of what issues you would like to see discussed. I have
not yet read it, but here is what I could find on psychinfo:

Ratner, Carl.
     Cultural psychology and qualitative methodology: Theoretical and
   empirical considerations. Plenum Press, New York, NY, US. 1997.
     Series title: PATH in psychology.
     Intended audience: Psychology: Professional & Research.

Abstract: In this book, the author discusses: the hallmarks of the positivistic
     method, including fragmentation and quantification; how qualitative
     methods can be refined and reoriented to study cultural psychology; the
     use of principles of qualitative methodology in the interpretation of
     behavior and verbal statements; a revised concept of the cultural
     character of psychology and qualitative methodology with standard
     scientific methods.... It is intended for researchers in all branches of
     social science and students of the methodology of science.

Summer has started for some. For others, like those at UCSD, we still have
a week of classes and finals and then grad exams to go before we shake
free of institutional pressures. I am not sure what sort of response you
can expect. But good luck!
mike