Re: Vygotsky's Crisis in Psychology

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 20:26:38 PDT

In a message dated 6/1/2001 2:56:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
bruce.rob@btinternet.com writes:

> It seems to me that 'Crisis' is simultaneously a masterpiece in four areas:
> (a) LSV's positive views on psychology;
> (b) the philosophy of science;
> (c) Marxist philosophy including his attack on the burgeoning Stalinist
> abuse of it in science and philosophy;
> (d) the critique of psychology as a discipline and the provision of a more
> general framework for disciplinary critique.
>
> The way in which these elements are synthesised is very interesting too and,
> I think, crucial to the enterprise. Thus the parts on psychology tell us
> about philosophy, the parts about methodology tell us about the human mind
> and the ways in which it can conceptualise the world and so on. Thus in the
> passage above the significance of the word is simultaneously its
> significance for science and more generally in human psychology. I don't
> think you can separate these things out as you do.

Nice! Thank you for a clear and concise explanation of the triumph in
Vygotsky's explanation of the crisis. You are correct in pointing out that I
was wrong to make it an all or nothing proposal. Psychology is not science
without the philosophy nor philosophy without the science; psychology is a
grand example of how scientists can become the synthesis of philosophy and
science.

Eric