Re: lost in time

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@lesley.edu)
Date: Sun May 20 2001 - 05:47:08 PDT

I think we can ask ourselves how Scribners summary of the four moments, and the cycle of expansive learning that appear in chapter 5 of lbe, can be related to our present situation, to our everyday actions. Chp 5 brings in explicitly developmental perspective, individual and social. And so, in these times as we come to recognize all variations to development, both personally, technologcially, and socially, for example in the case of Asbergers syndrome and the machine equivalent in Artificial Intelligence (could even Turing tell which is which?) which are recent developments in our social awareness of the past few decades. And these are the emergent genres of challenges we face: take the above example -- we would be compassionate towards the former, but not towards the latter, would we? But if we could not tell the difference, how would we know how to respond? And as the practical instrumentation (electronic mailing list) distribute our mind across people and machines, and puts us in the trouble of not being able to discern which is which and who is who over email, what do we do?

Moving on, I have been pursuing an understanding of how L*'s notion of boundary object expands the "practical application of new instruments", and this has been not only through the case study we presented in aera but also another more "design experiment" oriented task. Just last week a committee of Lesley faculty put together the penultimate form of an Academic Planning Process white paper. Like a boundary object, it is to be shared and discussed, made sense of, with the rest of the faculty (It is one of 4 such papers). The new practical instrumentation -- APP paper as boundary object, and the potential for new assessment instruments

The outline of the paper (our topic is assessment) is:
1.Intro
2.Present Assessment Practices
3.Best Assessment Practices
4.Discussion
5.Recommendations

With sections 2 and 3 beginning to delineate a zoped as described in lbe, and indeed, the expansive learning cycle (as an ideal of course) is one of the things used to describe the best practice of university-wide coordinated assessments, for example that at Alverno College. Needless to say, I am quite taken with the ideas presented in lbe, and wish to add having been able to participate in a Change Laboratory workshop, where the author was available for informal conversation, made all the difference in the world.

bb

--
Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
Lesley University