Hoax Slow Dance Hoax

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@lesley.edu)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 11:08:36 PDT

Latest hoax detected roaming the countryside appears below. Please see the following for debunking details:

http://www.urbanlegends.com/ulz/xforward2.html#slowdance

http://www.cancer.org/chain.html

Hoax Hoax Hoax Hoax Hoax Hoax Hoax Hoax

>Subject: Slow Dance
>
> If you can help in anyway
>

>This is a remarkable writing for someone so young...however, her situation
>brings great insight that we can all learn from. Very moving.This poem
>written by a terminally ill young girl in a New
>York Hospital. It was sent by a medical doctor. Also read the closing
>statement AFTER
>THE POEM.
>

>SLOW DANCE
>

>Have you ever watched kids On a merry-go-round?
>Or listened to the rain Slapping on the ground?
>Ever followed a butterfly's erratic flight?
>Or gazed at the sun into the fading night?
>You better slow down. Don't dance so fast.
>Time is short. The music won't last.
>
>Do you run through each day On the fly?
>When you ask, "How are you? "Do you hear the reply?
>When the day is done Do you lie in your bed
>With the next hundred chores Running through your head?
>You'd better slow down. Don't dance so fast.
>Time is short.The music won't last.
>
>Ever told your child, We'll do it tomorrow?
>And in your haste, Not see his sorrow?
>Ever lost touch, Let a good friendship die
>Cause you never had timeTo call and say "Hi"?
>You'd better slow down.Don't dance so fast.
>Time is short.The music won't last.
>
>When you run so fast to get somewhere
>You miss half the fun of getting there.
>When you worry and hurry through your day,
>It is like an unopened gift..Thrown away.
>Life is not a race. Do take it slower
>Hear the music Before the song is over.
>
>PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO HELP THIS LITTLE GIRL ALL FORWARDED E-MAILS
>ARE TRACKED TO OBTAIN THE TOTAL COUNT.
>
>Dear All:
> PLEASE pass this mail on to everybody you know. It is the request
>of a special little girl who will soon leave this world as she has cancer.
>Thank you for your effort, this isn't a
>chain letter, but a choice for all of us to save a little girl that's
>dying of a serious and fatal form of cancer. Please send this to everyone
>you know...or don't know. This little girl has ( 6 months) left to live,
>and as her dying wish,she wanted to send a letter telling everyone to
>live their life to the fullest,since she never will. She'll never make it
>to prom, graduate from high school, or get married and have a family of her
>own.
> By you sending this to as many people as possible, you can give her
>and her family a little hope, because with EVERY NAME THAT THIS IS SENT TO,
>The American Cancer Society will donate ( 3 cents per name) to treatment
>and recovery plan. One guy sent this to 500 people!!!! So if you can send
>it to at least 5 or 6. Just think it could be you one day. It's not even
>your money, just your time!!! "PLEASE PASS ON AS A LAST REQUEST"
>
>Dr. Dennis Shields, Professor
>Department of Developmental and
>Molecular Biology
>Albert Einstein College of Medicine of
>Yeshiva University
>Bronx, New York 10461

Hoax Hoax Hoax Hoax Hoax Hoax Hoax Hoax Hoax Hoax Hoax Hoax Hoax Hoax

--
Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
Lesley University