RE: RE: clocks and time machines

From: Phillip Capper (phillip.capper@webresearch.co.nz)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 14:15:00 PDT

Martin Owen wrote

>he goes to lunch at 12:15 each day
I repeat DNA'a statement "time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so". So
we have time for lunch in New Zeland! ho hum! I am in the wrong universe.

As some of you will recently have noticed, we are all hobbits down here. And
one thing hobbits always try not to do is to miss lunch.

Anyway, as an alumni of the university in which Martin now sits, I remain
sceptical of the impression of lunch in Bangor which Martin attempts to
imply. But should we not return to Epicurus through the lens of Marx? If the
biological needs of our body are so muted that we miss lunch, then surely we
did not need lunch, and therefore lunchtime was indeed an illusion - or
rather a socially constructed activity whose object is other than that of
satisfying a biological need. Which brings us back to time, or the conscious
experience of time, as being a cultural phenomenon.

Now - having completed my Emails - it is time for breakfast.

Phillip Capper
WEB Research
PO Box 2855
(Level 9, 142 Featherston Street)