RE: clocks and time machines

From: Phillip Capper (phillip.capper@webresearch.co.nz)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 20:28:04 PDT

Hmm!

Consider daylight saving. We 'put the clocks back' - and voila! The next day
the sun sets an hour later. We feel slightly unsettled for a couple of days,
as we adjust our biological processes to the fractured diurnal rythm, and
then we forget it. So it is the clock which objectively tells us what do and
when, not the phenomena against which the clock is calibrated.

But wait........ I sit at a computer. In the bottom right hand corner is the
time - which, until this moment I have not looked at in at least a year. I
wear a watch. I never look at it during the day. I have Microsoft Outlook.
Whenever I have to do something which involves coordination with another, it
reminds me to do it. As I write this I have noticed (for how long has this
been true?) that Microsoft Outlook has been 10 minutes ahead of itself in
telling me what to do.

To my right there is a window. It looks out upon Wellington Harbour from
nine stories up. I actually run my day by the movement of the sun across
that sky and the changing quality of light on the water (on dull days I make
judgements about time by judging the translucence of the water's surface) -
occasionally calibrating the sun's changing movement against my sense of
clock time (but scarcely consciously).

Actually - no I don't. I go out to lunch when the 12.15 ferry from the South
Island slides into its berth just below my window. It is more reliable than
the sun, (which is sometimes behind cloud for a whole day). Except when it
isn't - delayed by a storm or something. Then I miss my lunch because my
lunch trigger failed to arrive!

So I use at least five tools to ascertain time when I am in my office. But
the ones I use least are those specifically designed for the purpose. Even
though I wear a watch I now see my default on time is to scan the natural
world (does this include the ferry?) in Epicurus's mode as described by Paul

Phillip Capper
WEB Research
PO Box 2855
(Level 9, 142 Featherston Street)