RE: community vs. activity system

From: Cunningham, Donald (cunningh@indiana.edu)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 09:34:41 PDT

Well, my Maturana is a bit rusty, but his claim is that humans (actually all
living systems) are structurally determined and informationally closed; that
is, they are autonomous and recursively organized, behaving as a function of
their organization and particular structure. Instead of responding in a
cause-effect manner to objective environmental stimuli, living systems, when
perturbed by the environment respond in their own idiosyncratic way -- they
determine their own response, not the environment. Thus, there are no
cause-effect relationships between the world and the learner, and the
patterns exhibited by the perturbed living system do not reflect the
structure of the perturbing stimuli. Living systems are informationally
closed. Nothing is exchanged or communicated. So we need to focus on the
interactions within the learning system, not on the structure of the
environment. And it is the living system that determines what aspects of
the perturbing medium can perturb it. Organisms are structurally coupled to
the medium in which they are embedded. That is, living systems survive by
fitting with one another and with other aspects of the surrounding medium in
a manner that conserves their organization and adaptation. Life is a
succession of dynamic interactions or activities in which people are
structurally coupled to each other and/or the world. So people do what they
do because of how they are put together and how they are connected to the
environment (which they help create), not because the environment directs
them. All this cause-effect, exchange of messages thinking that we do is
simply our primitive attempt to make sense of our experience.

Clear as mud, I'll bet. But as I think about it, the notion of coupling
seems to be just as compatible with CHAT as is production/consumption.
Whether that's a good thing, I'm not sure. And I'll bet somebody has already
written about this!

Happy day to all mothers........djc