RE: LBE and 'community' category

From: Cunningham, Donald (cunningh@indiana.edu)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 14:29:22 PDT

Hi Ricardo!

I am a very concrete thinker. A community to me is a group that has some
binding feature: a common goal or passionate interest. I was a volunteer
fireman for several years and that certainly felt like a community to me.
Our family raised purebred dairy goats and the people we met at 4-H fairs
and other livestock shows formed something of a community for us. But I am a
member of many groups and collectives that do not "feel" like communities to
me. To give an odd example, I am a member of a collective that follows
traffic regulations when I drive a car, but I don't think of myself as a
member of a community of law-abiding automobile drivers. Even more common
uses of the word community seem problematic to me. I live in Bloomington,
Indiana, a "community", but by what criteria are we a community? The people
in this town have many interests. While I may prefer the opera, others love
the Friday night automobile races. What is our common goal, our shared
passionate interest?

I just realized that some of my examples might be U. S. specific so if they
are not clear, please let me know.........djc