Re: culture as independent and external?

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 13:45:49 PDT

In a message dated 5/3/2001 9:55:24 PM Central Daylight Time,
wbarowy@lesley.edu writes:

> Giddens reminds us that social theory encompasses its own activity, reflects
> back on itself... and this is sobering.

Yes, this is certainly epistemology's influence on the social sciences. I do
suspect that this is different then culture. My thinking is that culture
separates itself from individuals in that it is present in the collective and
is not a structural aspect of human development. It is a layer on top of or
a strand running in congruency with a person's existence: that sometimes
connects and sometimes intrudes and sometimes is invisible. I think the
importance of making this distinction is it allows for culture to be a
viable, measurable variable; as a I have alluded to before I believe the most
suitable term for the measurable quantity of culture would be Syllogism.

What do you think?
Eric