Re: culture as independent and external?

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@lesley.edu)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 18:56:29 PDT

Funny, I understood McDermott's article as explaining how a hypercubic child can be put into a square hole... but no matter, these are finer distinctions in the bigger picture we agree upon. What is important is the difference in people's lives all of this makes. And what is interesting, unsettling, unnerving, perseverant, durable, understandable, realizable, and comforting, is that people make a difference, many people make real differences, without theory on a regular basis...

Giddens reminds us that social theory encompasses its own activity, reflects back on itself... and this is sobering.

bb

--
Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
Lesley University