Re: Location check/backyard gardens

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 20:49:00 PDT

In a message dated 5/2/2001 8:55:41 AM Central Daylight Time, mroth@uvic.ca
writes:

> Well, what do people do with their time, when they are not working in
> more or less oppressive work situations? These are choices we make in
> our lives, other people golf, go to a bar, go on a cruise, watch TV
> etc. I don't do any of these but I might stand there watering plants
> individually, once or twice a week for a couple of hours...

I too enjoy gardening, as a leisure activity. I also enjoy the other
activities you mention. Oftentimes when I am standing, watering my garden or
canning tomatoes, or freezing beans; I think to myself about the cost
comparison. I drove to the store to get the seeds. I have a well and there
is the cost of electricity to pump my water. I have to use natural gas to
cook my tomatoes and the beans sit in deep freeze thanks to Excel energy. A
cost analysis would be greatly appreciated to show I am saving any energy
cost at all as opposed to that which gets kiwis to my grocery store (which
won't grow in MN).

Something to think about when you spend your two hours watering plants,
Eric