Re(3): Location check/backyard gardens/CONTEXT

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 20:37:00 PDT

yikes. if i could just add to my rambling about gardens
and fresh food and nutrition,
re a context for L by E,

if i am understanding the implications of the reading,
any activity constitutes a site for potential expansion - which i
interpret to mean a particular kind of consciousness shift,
more than an "acquisition" of other knowledge -

something as seemingly benign as cooking, eating and grocery shopping, to
me,
constitutes a social activity where folks *can* be learning about
the consequences and effects of this as something that indicates our
relations to a particular universal phenomenon - sustenance, nutrition,
and - in the not-now, when we used to be encouraged to boycott grapes or
bananas, depending on which country represented a site of oppression or
anti-union agricultural activity,

considering the price of "hothouse" produce in relation to the usual waxy
pesticide tasteless food stuffs that are cheaper - the possible zpd, here,
exists in activities such as community kitchens and community gardens, yes?
and the "expansion" is more than learning how to act differently in terms
of nutrition, but involves a consciousness shift towards alternative kinds
of responsibility for personal health;
whether this is about how to cook with tofu,
or how to grow a proper head of lettuce,
or tomato,

how to recognize zucchini for what it is (NOTHING) and so on.

i mean, as a specific context, from the widest possible activity of large
scale agricultural farming, to shopping in a no-name grocery store,

these are sites where LBE makes sense, to me, anyhow.

diane

"my doctor says i wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if i would just keep my
finger out of there. "
Ralph Wiggums.