Re: control/design experiments

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 10:13:39 PDT

bill-the -guy baroway quotes/writes
>"Documenting that a particular set of materials can lead to better
>learning-in conditions designed to control for all variables other than
>the technology resources themselves-provides initial evidence that the
>technology is worth trying."
>
>This is not a critique of traditional research, except to say that it
>shows technology provides moderate gains in traditional classrooms.
>Design experiment is promoted, in the texts I know, with the argument
>that technology offers new sets of actions possible in a classroom, and
>that much better gains can be achieved if allowed to do so.

yes, really, can the design/control approach EVER successfully translate
towards social situations? isn't "social science" an oxymoron?

>This concerns me for two reasons. First is the conspicuous absence of
>discussion of the prior development of ecological and activity
>approaches. Second is the absence of a theoretical framework treating
>the complexity of classrooms, that the first would contribute.
>Consequently, there does not appear to be a consistent treatment of how
>technology and people come together in a classroom to enable new sets of
>actions, and what is the role of everything "outside" the classroom.

well again, the persistent energies placed in modifying design'control
approaches so that any social activity can be "researched" is, to me,
invariably doomed because the methods of science are
a contradiction to the social situation.
again, eesh. isn't social science a perfect oxymoron - beyond a
contradiction it's an impossible pretense???

ever-the-cynic eh?
ha!
di

"my doctor says i wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if i would just keep my
finger out of there. "
Ralph Wiggums.