Re: developmental approaches/expansive learning/design experiments

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 21:08:07 PDT

bill sez
>as what some others have been more recently advocating with Design
>Experiment approaches :
>
>"Traditional research often does not provide the information that is most
>useful to educators for making changes. Understanding of how different
>parts of the instructional context may be influenced by a particular
>innovation is needed. What processes and problems can be expected? What
>are the effects on the learning environment and outcomes?
>
>Documenting that a particular set of materials can lead to better
>learning-in conditions designed to control for all variables other than
>the technology resources themselves-provides initial evidence that the
>technology is worth trying. But this kind of information has been seldom
>shown to be sufficient for teachers and administrators to effectively
>adopt a new approach. "

--- ok. i'm a stick: i know. limited. absolutely. but "control" for all
variables?
is these even reasonable ?
diane (reading John Ralston Saul's 'Voltaire's Bastards' and noting that
feminists made the same arguments against "reason" in the 1980s but, hey,
what do women know?)

"my doctor says i wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if i would just keep my
finger out of there. "
Ralph Wiggums.