Re: questions -

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 11:49:28 PDT

phillip white asks
>how could a social institutions insitutionalize activities that place
>itself at risk - and, not everyone within a given chat want to see the
>institution of education problematized - in fact, to judge by the
>barrage of state sanctioned tests to enforce academic standards, it could
>be said that many wish to not problematize the institution of education,
>but rather the opposite. and are their values and beliefs to be ignored?

YES!!!! institutions , by their historical structure, can NOT endorse
learning III
because this invariably calls the institution itself into question -
again, i think an actual context would help me - a specific activity -
like introducing new agriculture technologies into rural communities, and
what kinds of structures are
involved - beliefs, values, histories, traditions, ideologies, politics -
these are, to me,
particular to the context, and so potentially more expansive in terms of
OUR learning here.
di

"my doctor says i wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if i would just keep my
finger out of there. "
Ralph Wiggums.