Re: ethics of double bind situations

From: Yrjo Engestrom (yengestr@ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 09:58:33 PDT

Charles Nelson's questions are very important, especially for research which
relies heavily on interventions in practice (such as the research conducted
at the Center for Activity Theory and Developmental Work Research in
Helsinki).

In my experience, collective Learning III is always both explosive and
gradual. It is an extended and multi-layered journey through the zone of
proximal development of the activity system(s) involved.

Double bind situations emerge in activities whether we
researchers/interventionists want it or not. In carefully designed and
conducted interventions, those double binds can be simulated and worked out
in safer and more supportive conditions than in the brute everyday.

Cheers,

Yrjo Engestrom