Re: reference request

From: Kathryn Alexander (Kathryn_Alexander@sfu.ca)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 17:10:33 PDT

kathie,

yrjo's eference to Carol erkenkotter caught my eye, its an excleelent
example of the new genre theory and its convergence with CHAT and
writing in the workplace.

If you look at that article and find it useful I also recommend the
following:

Genr and the New rhetoric Ed. by Aviva Freedman and Peter Medway. 1993.
Taylor and Francis.

The work of Dorothy Smith - especially her recent text -- Writing the
social ; Critique, theory and investigations ( 1999) would be of
interest,

also her two earlier works from 1990 - Texts, facts and feminity,:
exploring the relations of ruling, Routledge ( hey you might like the
essay that is a personal favourite of mine) "K is mentally ill: the
anatomy of a factual account" :-)))

  and "The Active Text: a textual analysis of the social relations of
public textual discourse"

  as well, The conceptual practices of ruling, a feminist socialogy of
Knowledge, U ofToronto press. would also be useful. her work was
foundational to my analysis of the documentary practices of mental health
workers in a community mental health boarding home, which i called
"Writing up/Writing down" -

Now dorothy Smith uses the theory of Anthony giddens - Structuration,
among others, and in her latest text has incorporated Bakhtin's speech
genre theory to develop her positions on what she came to call "the active
text' that mediates identity and social practices of power through
institutional documentary practices.

Also - you may like Carol Berkenkotter and Thomas huckin's earlier work
in Genre Knowledge in Disciplinary communication: cognition/culture and
Power - and an essay co-written with John ackerman "Convenions,
conversations, and the Writer: An Apprenticeship Tale of a doctoral
Student" and Postscript: the Assimilation and Tactics of nate:

, There is two more recent publications by Dias, Freedman, Medway and
Pare that explicitly take up sociao-cultural theory, genre theory in the
context of workplace writing and textual mediation of identity.

Worlds apart; Acting and Writing in Academic and workplace Contexts: 1999.
LEA publishers.

and Patric dias and Anthony pare 2000. Transitions: Writing in Academic
and workplace Settings. Hampton press inc. : New Jersey.

And there is charles Bazerman's collection of essays - Textual dynamics
of the professions -

>Katherine, the work of Carol Berkenkotter should be relevant. She has a nice
>article in a fairly recent issue of MCA.
>
>Yrjo Engestrom
>
>> From: "Katherine Goff" <Katherine_Goff@ceo.cudenver.edu>
>> Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:35:46 -0600
>> To: xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
>> Subject: reference request
>>
>> a collegue of mine asked me to forward this request to xmca---
>>
>> .. . . could ask the xmca group for suggested readings on my dissertation
>> topic. We thought that someone would be sure to bring up something
>> interesting. I am looking for references to flesh out my literature
>> review since I haven't found much that directly relates. Anything that
>> looks at the relationship between what is spoken and what is written,
>> especially in a work setting, would be helpful.
>>
>> (the work setting is social services, court-ordered therapy, as far as i
>> understand it.
>> how the documentation (tool) mediates, represents, reifies, the client, i
>> think)
>>
>> thanx,
>> kathie

>> Words are the thunders of the mind.
>> Words are the refinement of the flesh.
>> Words are the responses to the thousand curvaceous moments---
>> we just manage it---
>> sweet and electric, words flow from the brain
>> and out the gate of the mouth.
>>
>> We make books of them, out of hesitations and grammar.
>> We are slow, and choosy.
>> This is the world.
>> Mary Oliver - The Leaf and the
>> Cloud
>> Katherine_Goff@ceo.cudenver.edu
>> http://ceo.cudenver.edu/~katherine_goff/index.html

"We live with strangers. those we love most, with whom we share a shelter,
a table, a bed, remain mysterious. Wherever lives overlap and flow
together, there are depths of unknowing." Mary Catherine Bateson, 2000,
from Full Circles, Overlapping Lives

Kathryn Alexander,
Faculty of Education,
Simon Fraser University,
Burnaby, B.C. V5A 1S6 Canada

Messages for SFU: (604) 291 - 3395 /SFU FAX (604) 291 - 3203

Personal: email: kalexand@sfu.ca FAX (604) 461 - 3141