Re: . rrrrrRe: reflection (on ending duels - still belabouring)

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 08:32:39 PDT

Nate,

The techie also says that one can edit w/o using the ruler--I haven't done
the process, just observed. That's somewhat beside the point, especially
insofar as at some point you can look at the following code and make sense
of it. You presume here comprehension not just this particular syntax and
vocabulary but some notion of syntax and vocabulary at all.

> <AREA SHAPE="RECT" COORDS="140,1,170,60" ALT="Oh, check out the
> Liger Project" HREF="http://members.home.net/liger3/">

I think most of us are already primed to read statements like this through
having studied (1) sentence structure of our native languages, (2)
elementary forms of algebra that include VARIABLES. Now variables just
happen to be one of the major gateways in the math curriculum.(like limits
farther down the road).

But there's a different issue. You write:

> Where I have a difficult time in Paul's argument in that
> interpret is seen too oppossitional to comprehension. It would
> seem to me that while their seperate and in a dialectical
> relationship that in practice they can not be easily seperated.

I don't think that (1) comprehension and interpretation in opposition
although I do think they are different, they are complementatry but
comprehension, in the sense of the word I've been using, maybe it's not the
best sense of the word, is a prerequisite of interpretation, comprehension
can occur w/o interpretation but not the other way around, eg, the answer
to "do you know what I mean when I say that the square of the hypotenuse is
equal to the sum of the squares of the two sides of any right triangle"
Where's the interpretation of this statement when you respond either yes or
no?; (b) there's some confusion about dialectics insofar as its forgotten
that prior moments are subsumed or sublated in the dialectical movement.
Comprehension and interpretation are not in opposition to each other at the
same level at all. Comprehension is subsumed or sublated in interpretation
(I think Hegel would have called this the transition from Essence to Notion
or Idea).

Paul H. Dillon