CHAT-like theories and ethics

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@lesley.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 07:18:15 PDT

What's to disagree with? My question boils down to this -- are you more interested in a theory of ethics, or more interested in the ethics of theories/theorists? IMHO, working on the former may be the long road to the latter, as it is aimed at addressing primarily a mediating artifact (the development of chat theory), while the latter (to take our recent episode as evidence) primarily indexes the troubles between subjects and rules -- the activity system being xmca.

It is a system that has a history of being resistant to the clarification of its rules (evidence the voting episode), save one -- a sort of 'free speech'. Other email lists have different rules to prevent and remove troubles between subjects and rules, i.e. moderation (as a shift in DoL) with more explicit rules followed by the moderator for what is acceptable and not, or (not "exclusive or") the expulsion of subjects from the system ( a different rule set) when violations occur.

I think it is important to be very clear in what we are talking about and what are our individual goals if we are planning intervention (a design experiment?), that will change the elements and relations of the xmca system.

There is evidence in recent postings that several people (me included) consider schizmogenetic pas de deux (folie a deux?) to be objectionable. If THAT is what we want to exclude from our future, I think we should address it directly and explicitly (though I have no confidence that such a discussion will result in any changes).

bb