Re: More LBE 3

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 21:50:47 PDT

In a message dated 4/27/2001 11:55:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
blantonw@miami.edu writes:

> . LBE requires
> multiple and simultaneous zpds.

If Learning by Expanding is to contain many and simultaneous zpds, then I
would propose that it is not possible for the zone of proximal development to
be a social construct. Learning by Expanding may be a social phenomenon but
I do not believe that Vygotsky intended for future practitioners to view the
Zone of Proximal Development as a social phenomenon. I haven't read Mind in
Society recently but I do know that in Thought and Language LSV used zpd to
refute Piaget's notion that ego was the driving force in individual
development. After Phil and Paul's duck soup I don't intend on battling over
a dead person's work but it appears obvious to me that zpd was not a societal
trend but an intricate piece of any individual's personal development.

Tomorrow, I golf
Eric