Re: Marxist Ecology from the author

From: Phil Graham (phil.graham@mailbox.uq.edu.au)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 07:27:14 PDT

Dear Bill,

Thanks so much for this. How refreshing it is to see a writer who situates
Marx firmly in his historical context and intellectual traditions (and
environment), the only "place" from which his language, philosophy, and
perspective - not to mention the problems he was grappling with; viz, the
enormous mindshifts and social upheavals that proceed from the last years
of the 18C to the mid-19C - can even begin to be understood. I am not
convinced the process has even begun to any serious degree after the
dogmatisms and misinterpretations that have posthumously plagued the poor
old fellow. No wonder about his last words.

For anyone who is interested, Norman Fairclough and I have written a paper
on "Marx as a discourse analyst" (currently under review), in which we
trace the traditions and expression of his methods for critiquing the
language of political economists. I will have to ask Norman if it okay to
pass on copies to people who want them, but I cannot imagine he would object.

Anyone who is interested should contact me directly.

Bill, how do I get to this site to see the rest of this discussion?

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Phil