Re(4): Writing is learning

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 19:50:55 PDT

kathy writes
>diane writes:
>>i have to admit, the more institutionally-skilled i became in language,
>>the more critical that question seemed.
>>in the end, i had to choose writing: it's what i do. and 'acceptance' and
>>to what can i commit? words= i can commit to words, but in actions -
>>eeesh. a very messy thing.
>

>writing is an activity.
>thinking is an activity.
>both have socio-historical aspects.
>both shape learning, but in different ways---
>i think both are constraints (or restraints, Bateson's term) in that they
>support/afford some types of making meaning while they limit or deny
>others.

there are overlaps here - writing is thinking, indeed much of my silent
thought is texted in 'mental' space,
as if writing, but at the speed of thought, unhampered by the plod of
material words.
but yr right - it's always provisionally an affordance/support of
meaning-making which is,
also, a limit or denial in the same time that it's an expression or
affirmation - to mean "this" is at the same time to "not" mean something
else - or at least, that's the struggle with meanings and writing, ...

>i think it's interesting, diane, that you constrast a committment to words
>with actions---
>are you referring to making a committment in writing(words) and then
>finding a difference in the enaction of that committment? (walking the
>talk, as it were)

i think i was referring more to institutionally-skilled work with words -
commiting to the words is not the same as commiting to the wider spheres
of text activities - for myself, my particular relation with words
is too anarchic for institutional activity -
in the institutional realm, a skill with the words engages with particular
the actions, words become embedded in the institutional sphere, - it has
been too difficult to commit to both,
in that what i do with words is ceaselessly seek to transgress languages,
- so, probably what you said, yes.

in terms of what writing-is-learning implies, i suspect i hold different
understandings of learning - in my experience, institutional writing is
not learning, but positioning.

diane

Thu-theeb, thus-theeb, thu-theeb...
that's all folks!"