Re: which level?

From: Judy Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 23:04:06 PDT

A quick filler in the sandwich made by Charles' question (below) and Bill
B's (on ch 3)

As I understand Bateson's Learning III, it would not be equivalent to YE's
Learning III. Perhaps YE's LEarning IV?

Bateson discussed Learning II as becoming a kind of person -- character
development. Learning how to negotiate the contexts of activity/action that
one 'enters' -- Again, learning how to be some kind of person.

Learning III is what the zen roshi has learned, that the kind of person
you've supposedly become is not 'who' you are -- that being the kind of
person you know yourself to be -- being smart or Right or Important, or
being humble & compassionate -- however you are reputed to be is not what
matters. Learning III affords a bit of freedom from the patterns of
participation learned at level II....

Half-baked will have to do. Back to reading masters papers -- see ya later,
Judy