Re(2): agency and subject

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 20:06:59 PDT

pd muses
>The key change here (transition to agriculture) is that nature is no
>longer
>a provider, ie a subject that must be dealt with as any other subject,
>but a
>force that is subjected to human agency, a force that loses (gradually to
>be
>sure, like over the space of thousands of years--at least up until
>Aristotle) its qualities of AGENCY and becomes a simple FORCE not unlike
>gravity. This process also yields our specific historico-cultural notions
>of individual, subject, and agency.

now THIS i understand, and ya, it's an interesting conjecture - a valuable
historical perspective.
me too, i find fascinating connections from archaeology and ancient culture
(i can't bring myself to say 'ancient civilization because lordess knows
we still ain't civilized!)
so,

when nature becomes a force to dominate - ?, historically, is this the
qualitative change you're referring to?

being a bit of a muddler in these language games,
i'm going to ask my next question on this - what do you see as a
relationship between "will" and "agency?"

or am i missing the point by asking?

diane, meandering

"Call Mr. Plow 'cause that's my name;
that name again is Mr. Plow."