Writng is learning

From: Michael Erickson (mericks@ruralnet.net)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 15:59:43 PDT

Michael Roth wrote:
 Writing is for me the primary activity... unless I can write something in ways that others can understand I do not have the sense that I understand. So writing IS learning, whereas talk, and email is an extension of talk, doesn't do the same thing.

Someone was writing here the other day that s/he was thinking aloud... but thinking aloud is not understanding... it is a process. For me, writing IS thinking--distributed across all the resources and mediated by the particular community and its rules that you can imagine.

Ken Bruffe wrote that all writing is internalized conversation re-externalized.

        Or, as I teach my students:

        I only know what I know when I've read what I have written or heard what I've said.

For what it's worth.

Michael E.