Re(4): Re(2): Individual activity?-questions questions

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 21:25:20 PDT

for those who are interested;

-----Original Message-----> From: Blais, Nathalie
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2001 9:57 AM
To: MacNeil, Karen; Macneil, Lynn; Ansell, Lisa; Thibault, Diane;
Makhlouf, Ghada; Massa, Viviane> Subject: Please read

IF you decide not to forward this, please send it back to me. This is an
actual petition, and "signatures"
will be lost if you drop the line.
Please take 3 minutes out of your life to do your part. And be sure to
include other members of your household who are willing to sign.
Oprah recently had a show about this atrocity and it was heartbreaking.
 Petition to the United Nations Background Information:
Madhu, the government of Afghanistan, is waging a war upon women. Since
the Taliban took power in 1996,
women have had to wear burqua and have been beaten and stoned in public
for not having the properattire,
even if this means simply not having the mesh
 covering in front of their eyes. One woman
 was beaten to death by an angry mob of fundamentalists
 for accidentally exposing her arm(!) while she was
 driving. Another was stoned to death for
 trying to leave the country with a man that was not a> > >relative.> > > >
 Women are not allowed to work or even go out in public
 without a male relative; professional women such as
 professors, translators, doctors,lawyers, artists and
 writers have been forced from their jobs and
 restricted to their homes. Homes where a woman is
 present must have their windows painted so that she
 can never be seen by outsiders. They must wear silent
 shoes so that they are never heard. Women live in fear
 of their lives for the slightest misbehavior. Because
 they cannot work, those without male relatives or husbands are> either
 starving to death or begging in the street,even if they hold
 Ph.D.'s.Depression is
 becoming so widespread that it has reached emergency levels. There is no
 way in such an extreme Islamic society to know the suicide rate with
 certainty, but
 relief workers are estimating that the suicide rate among women
 must be extraordinarily high: those who cannot find proper medication> and
 treatment for severe depression and would rather take their lives than>
live
 in such conditions. At one of the rare hospitals for women, a reporter>
found
 still, nearly lifeless bodies lying motionless on top of beds, wrapped in
 their
 burqua, unwilling to speak, eat,or do anything, but slowly wasting
 away. Others have gone mad and were seen crouched in corners, perpetually
 rocking or
 crying, most of them in fear. It is at the point where the term
 "human rights violations" has become an understatement. Husbands have the
 power of life and death over their women relatives, especially their>
wives,
 but an angry mob has just as much right to stone or beat a woman,
 often to death, for exposing an inch of flesh or
 offending them in the slightest way. Women
 enjoyed relative freedom: to work, to dress generally
 as they wanted, and to drive and appear in public
 alone until only 1996. The rapidity of this
 transition is the main reason for the depression and
 suicide; Women who were once educators or doctors or
 simply used to basic human freedoms are now
 severely restricted and treated as subhuman in the
 name of right-wing fundamentalist Islam. It is not
 their tradition or 'culture', but it is
 alien to them, and it is extreme even for those
 cultures where fundamentalism is the rule. Everyone
 has a right to a tolerable human
 existence, even if they are women in a Muslim country.> > > > >
 If we can threaten military force in Kosovo the name
 of human rights for the sake of ethnic Albanians,
 citizens of the world can certainly express
 peaceful outrage at the oppression, murder and
 injustice committed against women by the Taliban.> > > > >
 STATEMENT: In signing this, we agree that the current
 treatment of women in Afghanistan is completely
 UNACCEPTABLE and deserves action by the
 United Nations and that the current situation overseas
 will not be tolerated.
 Women's Rights is not a small issue anywhere, and it
 is UNACCEPTABLE for women in 2001 to be treated as
 subhuman and as so much property. Equality
 and human decency is a fundamental RIGHT, not a
 freedom to be granted,whether one lives in Afghanistan
 or elsewhere
1) Giuliana D. Black, Daly City, CA, USA
 2) Mariam Nayiny, Palo Alto, CA, USA
 3) Sunaina Gulati-Ruh, Palo Alto, CA USA
 4) Megan McCaslin, Palo Alto, CA USA
 5) Blake Hallanan, San Francisco, Ca. USA
 6) Kit Henderson, Sacramento, CA USA
 7) Kara Myers, San Francisco, CA
 8) Ellen Tilden, San Francisco, CA
 9) Vanessa Ross, San Francisco, CA
 10) Jenna Shaw- Battista, San Francisco, CA
 11) Jeanne Racik, B!erkeley, CA
12) Julie Silas, Oakland, CA
 13) Renee Longstreet, Tarzana, CA
14) Susan Johnson, Encino, CA
 15) Kenneth Johnson, Encino, CA
 16) Terri Treas, Los Angeles, CA
 17) Amy Retzinger, North Hollywood, CA
 18) Babette Crooms, Los Angeles, CA
 19) Olivia Kienzel; Santa Barbara, CA
 20) Sean Dexheimer, Los Angeles, CA
 21) Elio Chavez, Jr., Pasadena, CA
 22) Greg%Ð'XKastigar, Los Angeles, CA
 23) Robert Collie, Los Angeles, CA
24) Jeff Garvin, Brea, CA
 25) Tricia Allen, Sherman Oaks, CA
 26) Joleen Nordstrom ~ Hollywood, CA
 27) Theresa Donahoe - Martinez,CA
 28) Jennifer Horn - Concord, CA
29) Roxanne Ryan - Alamo, CA
 30) Miriam Tyler- San Jose CA
31) John Burns- San Jose CA
 32) Kristin Lynn Minick- Fort Worth TX
 33) Jeff Neal- Marietta, GA
34) Anna Neal- Marietta, GA
 35) Frances Murley-Fort Worth, TX
 36) David Murley-London, England, UK
 37) Jillian Dykhouse, Colleyville, TX
 38) Bonnie Dykhouse,Colleyville,TX
 39) Nancy Williams, Colleyville, TX
 40) Georgene Farr, Sterling Heights, MI
 41) Joanne Arensberg, Riverview, MI
 42) Luann Ouellette, Vermillion, SD
 43) Sandie Sullivan, Vermillion, SD
 44) Troy Nelson, Minneapolis, MN USA
 45) Joseph Miller, Minneapolis, MN USA
 46) Kathleen Miller, White Bear Lake, MN USA
 47) Jerry Marquis, Mpls. Mn. USA
 48) Julie Stokes, Coon Rapids, MN USA
 49) Tracy Ford, Blaine, MN USA
 50) Sheila Lawrence, Monticello, MN USA
 51) Brenda Kitchen, Westlake Village, Calif!ornia,USA
 52) Teresa Burke, Sherman Oaks, CA, USA
 53) Bruce Ehrlich, Sherman Oaks, CA USA
 54) Yllania Francis, Los Angeles, CA USA
 55) Drew Hedin, Los Angeles, CA USA
 56) Laura Paridon, Laguna Woods, CA USA
 57) Jeanie Hagedorn, Des Moines, IA USA
 58) Sue Christensen, Des Moines, IA USA
 59) Sybil Finken, Glenwood, IA USA
60) Luke Finken, Earth
 61) Doug Gerace, Lincoln, NE USA
62) Cheryl Gerace, NE
 63) Sheri Lew, CO
64) Raven Grace, Boulder, CO
 65) Martha M.Mertz, EL, Michigan
 66) Colleen R. Cooper, Okemos, Michigan
 67) Barbara J. Sawyer-Koch, East Lansing, MI
 68) Margaret A. Meyers, Okemos, Michigan
 69) Mary Helen Espes, Okemos, Michigan
 70) Maureen Kirchhoff, Allenspark, CO
 71) Bart Johnson, Err, France
 72) Sharon!O'Connor, Olympia, WA USA
 73) Nancy Irving, Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia
 74) Martha Lindley, Seattle, WA, USA
 75) Judith Alexander, Woodinville, WA, USA
 76) Arlene B. Hawkinson, Seattle, WA, USA
 77) Christine E. Mobley, Bothell, WA, USA
 78) Trudie Breen, CA, USA
79) Catherine Standiford, CA, USA
 80) Beverly Truett, AZ, USA
81) Christine Meehan,AZ,USA
 82) Janice Gilbert, Valley Center, CA, USA
 83) Dawna Upchurch, Anchorage, AK USA
 84) Roxanna Groves, Olympia, WA USA
 85) Lynda Lynde, Helena, MT USA
 86) Constance Gelu, University Place, WA USA
 87) Jodi Woolett, Tacoma, WA USA
 88) Lisa I. Reeves- Lynden, WA USA
89) Amanda James-Bow, WA USA
 90) Kelli J. Smith, New Port Richey, FL USA
 91) Chris Poirier, Largo, Fl USA
 92) Mike Carpenter, Palmetto, Fl USA
 93) Alice Pryor, Melbourne FL USA
 94) Ellen Catano, Manchester NH USA
 95) Bevely Jennings, Cincinnati OH USA
 96) Linda Feely, Norwood,OH USA
 97) Sherry Stidham, Norwood OH USA
 98) Brittany Brown, Cincinnati OH USA
 99) Sandy Brown, Cincinnati, Oh USA
 100) Tim Brown, Cincinnati, OH USA
 101) Pat Brown, Cincinnati, OH USA
 102) Amy Cregger, Memphis, TN USA
 103) Kay Emerick, Logan, OH USA
 104) Trina Bookman, Logan, OH USA
 105) Mary Samuelson, St. Louis, Mo USA
 106) Jeannette Ward, Memphis, TN USA
 107) Elisabeth Davis, Memphis, Tn USA
 108) Rose Klimek, Memphis, TN USA
 109) Barbara K. White, Hoquiam, WA, USA
 110) Paula J. Eriksen, Palm Harbor, Florida USA
 111) Rag!nar Eriksen, Palm Harbor, Florida USA
 112) MARILYN KING, CLEARWATER, FL, USA
 113) Barbara Stiner,Oldsmar,FL,USA
 114) Jac'line Weisgerber,Clearwater,FL,USA
 115) Charlotte Beadles, Douglasville, GA, USA
 116) Jody Hoadley, Powder Springs, GA, USA
 117) Hope Howard, Atlanta, GA, USA
 118) Cliff Howard, Atlanta, GA, USA
 119) Kay Chicoine, Atlanta, GA USA
 120) Mark Chicoine, Atlanta, GA USA
 121) Paula King, Lexington, KY,USA
 122) Sally Weissman,Minneapolis,Mn,USA
 123) Susan Abbott, New Brighton, MN USA
 124) Rachel Fine, St. Louis Park, MN, USA
 125) Deb Harley,Eden Prairie, MN,Usa
 126) Barb Handahl,Faribault, MN,USA
 127) Ann Olson,Chamberlain S.D.USA
 128) Deb Hunt,Sioux Falls S.D.USA
 129) Anne Frankman, Sioux Falls, SD USA
 130) Susie Kostel, Tabor, SD USA
 131) Julie Anderson, Mount Prospect, IL USA
 132) Janet Tilden, Fremont, NE USA
 133) Debbie Bowman, Kingston Springs, TN, USA
 134) Shari Watkins, Franklin, TN, USA
 135) Teresa Beck, Columbia, TN USA
 136) Amy Stephens, Brentwood, TN, USA
 137) Vicki Warren, Lyles, TN, USA
 138) Linda Lupo, Westland, MI, USA
 139) Cathie McClary, Clinton Twp. MI, USA
 140) Diane Catellane, Clinton Twp. MI, USA
 141) Judy Mellen, Clarkston, MI, USA
 142) Donna Waite, Lake Orion, MI, USA
 143) Ann Acton, South Lyon, MI, USA
 145) Tami Hall, South Lyon, MI, USA
 146) Wendy Belsley, South Lyon, MI, USA
 147) Gretel Coombs, East Lansing, MI, USA
 148) Mike Jones, Lansing, MI, USA
 149) Jeff Jones, Atlanta, GA, USA
 150) Marion Jones , Atlanta, GA , USA
 151) Pat Scott, Enumclaw, WA, USA
 152) Bob Panzer, Houston, TX, USA
 153) Pat Panzer, Houston, TX, USA
 154) Joe Schwartz, Jacksonville AL USA
 155) Stefanie Walfield, Fayetteville, NC, USA
 156) Liz Dunkley, Milledgeville, GA, USA
 157) Christine Dunkley, Milledgeville, GA, USA
 156) Mike Dunkley, Milledgeville, GA, USA
 157) Randy Parsons, Eatonton, Ga.
 158) Bonita Platner, Kirkwood, NY. USA
 159) Ralph Platner, Kirkwood, NY. USA
 160) Charles Lundquist, Binghamton, N.Y. U.S.A.
 161) Tracy Rowe, Hollywood, CA USA
 162) Daniel Raphael New York, New York USA
 163) Ann Brameier, New York, NY USA
 164) Kazuko Tao, Healdsburg, Ca USA
 165) Shelley Zavat, Rio Nido, Ca. USA
 166) Kendall Smith, Fort Bragg, Ca USA
 167) Candi Zizek, Sacramento, California USA
 168) Annette Blackwood, West Hartford, CT USA
 169) Frank Sentner, West Hartford, CT USA
 170) Ann Steadman, Roanoke, VA USA
 171) George Steadman, Roanoke, VA USA
 172) Elizabeth Byam,Washington, DC USA
 173) Mary Dougal,Montclair, NJ USA
 174) Kathleen Ennen, Champaign, Il. USA
 175) Patricia S. Berky, Baltimore, Md. USA
 176) Wahiba Abu-Ras, Old Bridge, NJ. USA
 177) Magdi Awad, Old Bridge, NJ USA
 178) Melissa Joralemon, NY USA
 179) Vida Cofie-Robertson, NJ USA
180) Sema Gurun, NY, USA
 181)Sahika Yildirim, UB, Mongolia
 182) Ceylan Orhun istanbul-turkey
 183)Efsa Kuraner, Istanbul, Turkey
 184) Meyzi Barin Istanbul Turkey
 185) Marie-Aude Serra, Istanbul Turkey
 186) Gil Serra, Istanbul Turkey
187) Brian Wilks, France
  188) Yuni Nixon, Canada
189) John Nixon, Canada
 190) Anne-Marie Dekker, Canada
191) Daryl Duke, Canada
 194 MARGO LANE TORONTO CANADA
195)val ross, Toronto, Canada
 196)Jane Rowland, Toronto, Canada
 197)Elizabeth Renzetti, Los Angeles, CA
 198) Jennifer Sudbury, Toronto, Canada
 199) Anna Withrow, Toronto, Canada
200) Erin Boyce, Toronto, Canada
 201) Lauren Boyce, Leesburg, USA
 202) Donna Hoeltzel, Yarker, Ontario,Canada
 203) Jennifer Hoeltzel, Yarker, Ontario, Canada
 204) Jaime Hoeltzel, Yarker, Ontario, Canada
 205) Wendy Nelson-Hoeltzel, Centreville, Ontario, Canada
 206) Lori Hunt, Yarker, Ontario, Canada
 207) Janice Beecher, British Columbia, Canada
 208) Diana Johannesma, British Columbia, Canada
 209)Lynn Heslop, British Columbia, Canada
210) Sharon Fulton, British Columbia, Canada
211) Della Fulton, British Columbia, Canada
212) Glenn Fulton, British Columbia, Canada
213) Heather Lawson, British Columbia, Canada
214) Virg Betker, British Columbia, Canada
215) Grace Gill, British Columbia, Canada
216) George Gill, British Columbia, Canada
217) Terry Brown, Thunder Bay, Ont Canada
 218) Vivianna Brown, Ontario Canada
219) Charles Cottle, Montreal, Canada
220) Linda Marschall, Dorval, Quebec, Canada
221) Hank Gigandet, Dorval, Quebec, Canada
222) Donna Belanger, Roxboro,Quebec, Canada
223) James Sheen, Roxboro, Quebec, Canada
224) Julie Lapierre, Lasalle, Quebec, Canada
225) Lincoln Serjue, Lasalle, Quebec, Canada
226) Earl Henophy,Kirkland,Quebec,Canada
227) Katherine Peacock,Kirkland,Quebec,Canada
228) Heather Sawchuk, Pierrefonds, Montreal, Quebec
229) Sharon Coughlin, D.D.O, Quebec Canada
230) Nathalie Blais, Pointe Claire, Quebec, Canada
231) Diane Thibault, Pointe-Claire, Quebec, CDA>
232) Sandra Thibault, Lachute, Quebec, Canada
233) Jo Anne Howard
234)Deborah L. Forde, Montreal,Quebec,Canada
235) Jonh William Laurence Forde, Montreal,Quebec,Canada
236) Alexandra-Kathleen Bouchard, Montreal, Canada
237) Shirley Maragh, Montreal, Canada
238) Diane C. Hodges, Montreal, Canada

>DIRECTIONS: PLEASE COPY this email on to a new message, sign the bottom
>and forward it to everyone on your distribution lists. If you receive this
>list with more than 300 names on it, please e-mail a copy of it to:
>sarabande@brandeis.edu
>Even if you decide not to sign, please be considerate and do not kill
>the petition.>

"The world is too much with us,
late and soon..."
Wordsworth.