Re(2): nate's question

From: Katherine Goff (Katherine_Goff@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 14:00:58 PDT

phillip writes:
>of course, the statement "so what?" could also be the first step in
>disengagement from an ecological system that is not healthy.

and

> the question for me, however, is whether or not 5th dimension has an
>element of 3rd level learning that Bateson / Yrgo speaks of - expanded
>learning - so that it is self-reflective enough to understand its own
>ecology within the nested ecologies that it exists within. or, instead of
>ecologies, use the term activity systems.

this is so interesting, phillip.
i am involved in a group that is starting up a Fifth Dimension here in
denver.
one of the issues we are dealing with is the "so what?" question from
parents and the community.
why should they support this space/activity for kids to play?
the kids might be more interested in the space/activity, but for somewhat
different motives.
(would they ever take 5thD experience into school and ask the teacher
there "so what? why should i do what you tell me when it's boring and
stullifying and i can go to my afterschool club and learn fun stuff?")
as a teacher, i have sometimes joked that my job is to make my job
unnecessary, and that might be true on the individual level, but it can n
ot be true on the cultural level (someone has to enculturate the next
generations)
the times i have tried to communicate to children the 3rd level
perspective--- it has never seemed to happen.
maybe sometimes with my own sons, but that takes such time and consistent,
coherent messages.

i am curious how one would collect data on students engaged in level 3
learning?
would the researcher/teacher have to be operating at level 3?

and i do not intend to imply any criticism of anyone here, i often act as
if level 3 learning is possible and even happening---
with little or no evidence.

--on the wings of faith

kathie

Words are the thunders of the mind.
Words are the refinement of the flesh.
Words are the responses to the thousand curvaceous moments---
     we just manage it---
     sweet and electric, words flow from the brain
     and out the gate of the mouth.

We make books of them, out of hesitations and grammar.
We are slow, and choosy.
This is the world.
                                            Mary Oliver - The Leaf and the
Cloud